AAPL

I stopped following Philip Elmer-Dewitt (@philiped) on Twitter today. I have nothing against the guy, and this isn’t a call for others to follow my lead. I’m just tired of Apple financial news.

It seems like every Mac-related site I visit or subscribe to is spending more time telling my how much money Apple is making and less time telling me how I can make better use of my Macs and iPhone. A little cheerleading is fine, but I don’t need to see daily stories about how Apple is dominating this sector or that. The smartphone marketshare battle with Android, for instance, has absolutely no effect on how I use my iPhone or how I live my life.

And apart from a few soap opera-style incidents, like Eric Schmidt getting booted from the board, the stories aren’t even interesting. Each quarter Apple exceeds its own predictions (because its predictions are a deliberate fiction) and those of most analysts (because most analysts are either necessarily conservative or incompetent). Each quarter about half its sales at the physical stores go to first-time Apple customers. These are stories that could just as well be TextExpander snippets.

Even the math and data graphics done by the analysts—at least the part that ends up in the news reports and blog posts—is pathetically simplistic and dull. Averages and percentages are considered high-level cipherin’. Elementary time series are thought to be brilliantly insightful. Baseball may be the dullest sport on the face of the Earth, but at least you can find interesting calculations and graphs among the sabermetricians. No such luck with the AAPLmetricians.

I started following PED after his interview on Dan Benjamin’s Pipeline podcast. He’s led an interesting life and has a long history with personal computers. I thought his Twitter feed would reflect that, but it’s just a neverending series of links to his articles about marketshare and pie charts. Too bad.

6 Responses to “AAPL”

1. ji says:

This is my favourite non-technical Leancrew post.

2. Michael says:

How right you are. Patent stories are also taking up far too much of the technology sites’ time and attention these days.

In the same way I wouldn’t go to an accountant or lawyer to hear about iOS 5, I’m not really interested in what an Apple blogger has to say on finance or patent law.

3. Joey says:

Asymco.com has the best analysis on Apple and the mobile sector. You might find it entertaining.

4. Lri says:

I couldn’t care less about Apple as a company, other huge tech companies, patents, mobile platforms or iOS devices in general. Content like a few of your recent posts (Learning Awk; The App Store, sandboxing, and AppleScript) are why I’m subscribing to most of my feeds.

I do wish I had followed the Apple stock more closely though. I sold all of my funds and stocks in 2008 before the crash, and was actually going to reinvest everything in Apple after the markets had stabilized. But it sort of stayed on a later todo list. If I had followed something like Asymco then, I would’ve bought it at under 100 and by now would’ve quadrupled my portfolio fo sho.

I’m not a big Asymco fan. See my “elementary time series” comment above. Also see PED’s roundup of analyst predictions from last quarter. Horace Dediu, who blogs almost exclusively on the mobile phone market, provided the second worst prediction of iPhone sales.

Agree fully. The quality of Mac related blogs has really gone downhill of late I’ve noticed. I like the developer info and the occasional topic on some matter of controversy about the App Store. But most posts seem me toish bland blather about marketshare or “who is best.” Tell me about your workflow. Tell me about time saving tips. Tell me abotu some application I may never otherwise have known about. But please don’t repeat the bland CNET news.